... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Week 8 Day 1

   It’s not uncommon for me to have upset my wife and not know it.  What exaggerates this is my need to apologize for my behavior but not knowing that I need to apologize for it.  Exaggerating this even more is the pregnancy hormones.  Triple threat. 
   So when she left for work in the morning without saying “Goodbye” or “I love you”, I knew something went horribly wrong.
   Fortunately, my wife is not an ass.  Over the past decade, we have developed the ability to look back on a situation and step outside of it offering a somewhat objective critical eye as to what went wrong.  This usually results in both of us realizing we need to apologize.  Of course, we’re still emotional which makes it hard to be the first one to do so. 
   This is where it’s time to nut up or shut up.
   Nobody wants to be the first one to admit they’re wrong.  And I am the king of this.  I’m not saying she gets a free pass at making bad decisions, but your partner is growing your baby and should be given the benefit of the doubt. 
  In all our years together (we’re lucky enough to have them) we have taken turns when it comes to being the first to apologize.  But during these 9 months it might be my turn…
   to not be an ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment