... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Week 9 Day 1

            Today marks the point at which the embryo officially becomes a fetus. 
I had a momentary flash of panic today when I considered the fact that not only will we have a baby in seven months, but we’ll have a kid in 16 years that will ask to borrow the car. (or hover mobile – whatever we’re using as a mode of transportation) 
Of course, by then I may be lucky enough that the cars are completely driving themselves.  But probably not.
Thinking about the advances that will take place between now and then leave me bewildered and excited.  I have had the discussion with my partner briefly about if the technology becomes available, do we microchip our child?  Do we sacrifice some of their privacy for the security of knowing where they are at all times?  I’m sure if you asked the parents of kidnapped children, they would all be proponents of this technology.  But the whole “big brother is watching” mentality is also creepy and something that should be avoided.
Maybe this technology is far enough away that we won’t have to worry about it.  But even if we don’t have to worry about it, our children will.  With all the choices we’re going to be making on behalf of our child how will we know how to decide?  I know we will make mistakes and I know we will do SOME things right.  But I have to wonder…
How do we decide what choices to make that will keep us from being asses?

1 comment:

  1. Well, Drew was connected to my wrist with a lead while we were in Europe. He had a propensity to run out in front of traffic. We felt we had no choice, but the looks we endured!!!

    I think, though about what micro chipping might have done for the Duggar child. I think, had it been available, it would have been worth giving up some freedom.

    ReplyDelete