... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 7 Day 6

  By now I’m beginning to understand that I may be in the minority.  I actually want to read books about child birth.  I actually want to be not only present during the birth but also be a partner to the mother of my child.  And my reaction to hearing about my fellow men who need to have their arms twisted just to read 3 pages of a single book is to sit them down and inform them as calmly as possible that they have been unfrozen and it is now the 21st century.
  I thought the days of husbands pacing outside the emergency room were gone.  I thought that the 21st century was supposed to usher in a new era of partnership between partners, spouses, lovers and friends.  I thought that misogynistic tendencies to isolate the womenfolk behind closed doors until they produced a child were gone.  But apparently there is still a sizeable demographic of the male population that hopes to remain blissfully ignorant.  Men who cringe at the words “mucus plug” and “colostrum” need to think seriously about the fact that they are going to have a BABY! (If you don’t know what those words are, look em up) 
  Why would you refuse to get involved with your child from the moment of conception?  After all, they can see, hear and feel by the 10th week.  Do you think that somehow once the baby is born you will be magically endowed with the knowledge of raising another human being?
  To wait until AFTER your child is born is too late to learn this stuff.  You are already behind the curve and will likely be playing catch up for the next 18 years or longer.  From my understanding we will be feeling like we’re behind the curve no matter what we do but I suspect that arming myself with as much information as possible can’t be a bad thing.
  It’s appalling to me that a man can be so resistant to wanting to play a major role in the birth of their child.  No it’s not always a pretty thing.  There are parts to it that are downright disgusting. (I still throw up a little in my mouth when I hear the word “colostrum” because I KNOW what it is)  But guess what?  That’s a part of being an adult.  That’s a part of being human.  And it’s a pretty awesome thing when you think about it no matter how disgusting it may be.
  Yes, I may be in the minority….
But at least I’m not an ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment