... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 7 Day 5

            I try not to be an ass.  On a day like today when we don’t have anything planned I try to be a productive member of society and this household by doing things that need to get done.  I’m one of those guys that complains about never having enough time and when I get a day to myself I feel bad about not doing anything.  I know that is probably better than sitting in front of the Wii or computer playing Guitar Hero or Diablo 2.  Yes, I still play Diablo 2 in 2011 and I’ve never even gotten all the way through it.
            And I know that when the baby is born, I REALLY won’t have any days like today.  At least not for a long time.  Like when I retire and the government has confiscated all our social security checks.
            But everything I’m reading and everyone I’ve spoken to says that just because you have a kid doesn’t mean you have to stop doing what you want to do.  This sounds great in theory.  But for a guy like me who feels guilty when I sit down to play an hour of Diablo, how will I be able to take any time for myself when there is more that I could be doing to help my child.  Boy this is really putting things into perspective for me.
            On the other hand I think teaching recreation and taking time for yourself could be a good thing to promote to a young person growing up.  Working hard is good.  But so is taking time for your self.  Now if someone else has figured out how to do this, can you please tell me how?
  So I can be less of an ass.

1 comment:

  1. I try to take each day as it comes. For instance, when Drew is sleeping, like right now, I can read and comment on my wonderful nephew's blog to my heart's content. When he wakes up, we go to the store and pick out healthy stuff he will eat, choosing between pizza, pizza rolls,pizza bagels and mac and cheese. Sigh. Then we will be off to the fruit stand for fresh canteloupe, watermelon, peaches and berries. Much more satisfying. I've done what I wanted to do and what he wanted to do. Days when there is a game, I don't even have time to answer my email. That's OK, too because there is so much joy in watching him learn life lessons on the baseball field. When it gets to be overwhelming, I take a break, go cropping, and John takes a turn. Being able to take turns has unique rewards. The boy gets time alone with each of us, and we don't lose our minds!!

    ReplyDelete