... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Week 14 Day 1

   I really don’t know what the heck I’m doing.  But I can take solace in the fact that pretty much nobody knows what they’re doing when it comes to having their first kid.
   I’ve mentioned how fortunate we are to have 10 years of getting to know each other to back us up when we have a defenseless infant to protect.  I really can’t imagine deciding to have a child within a year or two of being together.  I know things were different for our parents and I have a great deal of respect for them and everyone of that generation.
   Being in my mid thirties, I would have thought I would be more prepared for parenthood.  And in some ways I am.  I am more patient than I was 10 years ago.  More in touch with myself and my partner
   But I still feel just as ill equipped and unprepared to do all the basic stuff like changing diapers, feeding and doctor’s visits.  Only now I am confidant that all of these things will come with time and a younger version of me might have been more prone to panicking.  But I’m sure it will be nothing like this and I will end up panicking anyway.

1 comment:

  1. From this geriatric parent: Yes, you have patience. Yes, you do get all the basic stuff down. Yes you have more money. But every day I pray to God for more time with my son, and more energy.

    ReplyDelete