... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Week 21 Day 7


   “Oh god!  The baby’s rotting my brain!”
  I heard this from my wife in reference to the short-term memory loss and general absent-mindedness experienced from the pregnancy.  There is some dispute as to whether this is an old wives tale or if there are studies that actually prove lower brain function due to pregnancy.  See articles here and here.  It makes sense that if the body goes into overdrive making a new human being, certain priorities get shifted around.  Maybe brain functions are not as important because everyone in the family/tribe takes extra care of a pregnant woman so she doesn’t HAVE to be smart enough to outrun the big scary predator.
   I propose that there is an added evolutionary reason.  The baby is “rotting my wife’s brain” in order to give me (the husband/partner) a taste of what it is like to raise a helpless infant.  I’m NOT saying that my wife is a helpless infant!  Pregnancy by no means makes a person stupid.  But there is extra care required on occasion and I really hope that the higher brain functions return soon after the delivery.
   Of course, this is assuming there is any truth to “pregnancy brain” as it has come to be known.
   Wow.  After rereading this, I totally sound like an ass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment