... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Week 18 Day 1


   Games to (not) play with your pregnant wife:  Find the Fundus. 
   Our midwife showed me how to do this and it’s pretty cool.  As the link above explains, the fundus is the top of the uterus and it gets higher and higher the further along the pregnancy progresses.  To find it, you dig your fingers into the abdomen of your wife and feel around until you come up against something that is denser.  I was being too gentle on my first attempt and the midwife encouraged me to really dig around.  You have to push down a good 2 inches or so before you feel it.  If it hurts, your partner will tell you.  A suggestion:  don’t just dig in like I did.  A couple of small test pushes goes a long way to preparing your wife for further prodding.  At first, I wasn’t sure what I was feeling.  But it slowly dawned on me that my baby was only a fraction of an inch away from my fingertips.
   First thing in the morning is not the best time to play this game as the bladder may be full.

1 comment: