... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

... Or parenthood from the male perspective.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Week 9 Day 5

   I have good memories of eating at the dinner table with my family as a child.  I hope to give those memories to my child. 
   I’ve been watching Jamie Oliver and it really hit home tonight just how important it is to sit and eat as a family.  Not just for the nutritional benefit, which is a big deal in this day and age of diabetes and morbid obesity.  But also for the face time.  I want to be a father who knows what is going on in the lives of my family.
   I’m fortunate.  For the last couple of years, my partner and I have changed our diet for the better.  (Really she is the one who instigated the change and I just let myself go along for the ride.)  And the benefits have been incredible.  This is yet one more thing I have to thank her for. “Thanks, hon!”
   But despite our better dietary choices, we still find ourselves in front of the TV or computer watching Netflix and Hulu.  This understandably limits our conversation.
   So I hope that we can instigate more change when it comes to where we eat and not just what we eat.
   I hope I don’t let us all just sit in front of the TV wordlessly wolfing down our food.  I hope I can continue to support my partner in all of the choices that need to be made to increase the quality and health in our family.  I realize this may be easier said than done, but to not support her and not want this myself would make me an ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment